Little Fur Family by Margaret Wise Brown


So... I fully know it's heretical in some circles, but I can cheerfully admit I'm not always the biggest fan of Margaret Wise Brown. (That being said, there's a place for most everything and there is an endearing anthology of some of her little known children's poems that I'd like to find. And I may, may even slowly be coming round to start thinking about appreciating a certain astronomical rhyming bedtime book on which I've had strong feelings for years. ;-))

But we're here to talk about Little Fur Family, which is also a classic, and charming, and wistfully, enchantingly sweet.

The funny thing is it's one of those that goes waaaaaaaaay back into my very earliest memories, checking piles out from the library (or rather, digging through the library basket) as a wee thing, but my parents never actually purchased it, so when I hunted it up for Princess E, I was flabbergasted to find out it was by MWB! (I honestly don't know why I was surprised, but you know how these things happen. ;-))

The text is lilting and delightful. And of course, with illustrations by the inimitable Garth Williams, you know the whole thing is going to be excellent and memorable.


If you don't already have it, it's definitely one you'll want to look up and add to your repertoire!

Comments